On the second day of the Design Bloggers Conference in Los Angeles, Tobi Fairley delivered a wonderful keynote address. Tobi is a successful interior designer based in Little Rock, Arkansas and has been named one of the Top 20 Young Designers in America by Traditional Home. It was an absolute delight to see some of her work and to meet her! Tobi provided us with 20 Tips for Building a Successful Design Business Through Social Media:
- Building a blog doesn't mean building a design business.
- Determine your blog's purpose.
- Know your ideal design client: Who is reading your blog?
- Don't become obsessed with your blog's numbers. More important question is "Are you reaching potential clients?"
- Don't be afraid to specialize.
- Less is more.
- Look through a camera's lens. Tobi approaches each new design by seeing the finished project as if through a camera's lens and works backwards from that point.
- Offer total design. Instead of parts of a room, do the entire room.
- Blogging isn't free. It takes time away from designing. Use your time wisely.
- Before and after photos: Remember to take before photos from every angle in the room. Make sure to put permission to photograph in design contract.
- We need the print magazines! Save your best work (photographs) for magazines.
- Create a blog calendar.
- Your blog = your voice.
- People want to be inspired and entertained.
- Advertisers should support your brand.
This friendly, southern gal definitely knows what she is talking about! A few additional points Tobi made stick out in my mind:
- Consistency is Key in your brand and in your service!
- Results will = ideal clients and more money.
- Keep your voice and look distinct.